Five Tips for Faster Turn Times
Appraising is an always changing profession. Each year, it seems, appraisers are asked to offer more information or have steps added to their process. All to guarantee their client is presented with the best data to be had. In order to keep up with the constantly changing requirements, Young Real Estate Appraisals is constantly testing new tools and improving processes to increase efficiency so we can do more work for our customers. Since Young Real Estate Appraisals knows that time is important to everyone, we've listed a few things you can do to hasten the process every time you order an appraisal with Young Real Estate Appraisals.
- Always order your appraisals electronically.
- By ordering online, you automatically get e-mail notifications that the assignment was received, and fast, secure .PDF format report delivery. It's the single biggest time saver available to both of us! No longer do we have to manually enter information from a fax, and you don't have to wonder whether the order was received.
- Complete and accurate subject property information is essential.
- There's nothing like being one number off on the street address to add unnecessary time to an appraisal assignment. Unique identifiers like a tax parcel number, plat map number, or subdivision name is helpful information to pass long with the request. Even a list of recent sales in the area is welcome — though be advised that professional appraisers are lawfully required to do their own due diligence on comparable sales, and ours may differ from yours.
If you have any questions about your property or an appraisal we're working on for you, don't hesitate to contact us
- Let us know up front of the property's distinct characteristics.
- It's relatively easy to appraise a cookie-cutter home. Most of an appraiser's time is spent analyzing how characteristics unique to a property contribute to or detract from what otherwise would be a property's market value. At the time you order your report, be sure to let us know if there are unique characteristics of the home or surrounding area -- for example, it's had a recent addition constructed, it's subject to zoning restrictions, it's prone to flooding. While these are things that we would find out on our own, knowing them as soon as possible makes your report arrive faster.
- Set proper expectations with the homeowner.
- Setting an appointment with the homeowner can be one of the most time consuming parts in the appraisal process. It's understandable for a homeowner to be uncomfortable with a stranger inspecting every square foot of their home, taking photos, and making copious notes. Some think they ought to make the place spotless before the inspection, with the idea that will increase the value. So they put off the appraisal inspection until they have cleaned.
Coming from you -- the person they are working with on their loan -- a little info about the appraisal process, who we are, and especially that dusting and polishing won't increase their home's value one little bit, and likely decrease the appraisal inspection time. Our website has multiple pages of relevant information about the appraisal process for homeowners. Please feel free to share it with your clients. They can even call us if they want to meet the staff and learn more about our services. Remind them it's to their advantage to set the appointment promptly!
- Easily verify the status of your report on our website.
- No more phone and fax tag. Up-to-the-minute status updates are available online, anytime, 24/7. As we complete each important milestone in an assignment, that information can be viewed instantly online. There's no faster way to track your report's status.